Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Day I entered Hell and which changed my life forever

June 9th
"Field Day" Day 0 is today. we wake up 0430 got our duffelbags with all our issue and personal bags. We wait for chow and soon we ate of course and I was given my Miltiary Glasses. I swear to God these glasses suck ass I'd tell you what these glasses are thick and brown and look like the ones from Revenge of the Nerds. Damn I look ugly in those! anyways then we were told to wait outside. 40 of us Privates waiting outside for our trans to come along. Hm...guess what our transportation was a cattle car, wow I expected a bus like I saw on goarmy.com but I guess not. We got on the cattle car and we're all cramped inside and it was so hot in there oh geez I can bear it phew so hot. We arrived at these white buildings and then the doors opened. I see two Drill Sgts I see their hats and first of all they were calm and told us to get off the cattle car and put our dufflebags on the ground. I see the words on the building CIF issue. That stands for Central Issue Facility where we get our gear, kevlar, LBV, and rucksack.So I ended up carrying TWO heavy 75 lbs duffelbags. Ok it's pretty heavy and carrying in this heat is brutal. Then we got on a big bus we called those cadillacs because they were huge buses. The Drill Sgts introduced themselves there was one female which was Drill Sgt Johnson and the other was Drill Sgt Hoaglund. (They end up as my Drill Sgts). Meanwhile on our ride to the Company we were told to put our heads down and we did. There was one Pvt named Hallmark she put her head up and the Drill Sgt caught her and said Pvt put your head down what the hell think you're doing! Privates don't know how to follow a stinkin order! Then we arrived at the Company. It was time. We were yelled at to get off the bus and____________________________________________________ (I will not talk about this certain part of event because you have to go to Basic Training to expierence this yourself what the Drill Sgts did to us it is an expierence you have to be there for and no it's not the same as in a movie) After that they introduced the Drill Sgts, The Senior Drill Sgt, The 1st Sgt and The Company XO and Company Commander. Then we were split up into Platoons. I was assigned to 2nd Platoons along with 10 other privates and the others were split into 1st 3rd and 4th platoons. And yeah we have Drill Sgt Johnson and Hoaglund as our Drill Sgts. We went upstairs and I'm struggling with my duffelbags because they were so heavy and I'm lucky to carry them up 3 flights of stairs. We went thru the bay and found other privates saying "at Ease" when Drill Sgt Hoaglund came in (They were other Privates that came before us and shipped 3 days before us but didn't start Basic Training yet) Drill Sgt Hoaglund said carry on and the privates would respond "Yes Drill Sgt Good Afternoon Drill Sgt!" we would go to the "Killzone" which is the barracks classroom for each platoon and fill out some paperwork. Meanwhile we also had to go to the Battalion HQ to finish some paperwork there also. After that was Dinner chow. Ok Dinner chow, phew long description on that one. We would march to the Dining Facility (I would label DFAC for short that's what it means) and arrive to the entrance there were two entrances to the DFAC one right and the other was left. We went to the left one. The Drill Sgts would march the whole company and halt them under a huge covering. Then they would give the command "Center Face!" Then "Guidon and Phase Banners Post!" We would sound off and yell off the top of our lungs until the phase banners and guidon were posted. That determined the order of what platoon gets to eat first or last. We would then go into the DFAC and line up. Our heads have to be straight looking ahead at parade rest until the line moves forward. Anyone caught talking or looking around would be intimidated by Drill Sgts and I mean badly of course. Then when we reach the cashier we would say what component for example I said Good evening sir, National Guard Sir. He would say good evening please type in your social. There was a little number pad to type in our social and I did and then we would go in line for food. Again eyes have to be straight even with the tray and you have to sidestep in line and head straight until you get to the ladies who serve the meal. Of course there are some people who would jack it up. The meals aren't bad, the usual good like speghetti and meatballs and such. We were told to get water 1st and that is the rule of the land here. The reason is they want us to be hydrated. I got water and went to the table and you have to wait for the person across from you gets to the table if he/she is not there you have to stand there at attention until he/she gets there then you can eat your meal. Guess what? We have to chug down the food, no looking up and around and talking. Just chug it. If your table was done and then you were done. They gave us less than 7 minutes to eat. When I mean chug it and I mean chug it. We would line up in formation and waiting outside to read our smart books. Of course there were some privates who jacked up so we got ALL in trouble. If one gets in trouble all of us gets in trouble. Guess what it was Timothy Green and he's in my platoon. Oh great. here's how it went. Company Attention! Half-right face! Front leaning Rest Position Move! In Cadence! 1-2-3 1 1-2-3 2 1-2-3 3 1-2-3 4 1-2-3 HALT! The Flutterkick! Start position move! In Cadence! 1-2-3 1 1-2-3 2 1-2-3 3 1-2-3 4 1-2-3 HALT! Hold it Hold it Hold it All the way up! Half-way down and hold it. Hold it Hold it...." Then we were finished. "post to the position of attention!" we would echo the command and then he would say move! then we all went to attention. Then we all marched back to the Company. Remember these barracks are the brand new ones. Oh the Company is Delta Company, 787th MP BN. Brand new barracks and Brand new DFAC. The new privates and I would go back to the killzone and finish inventory and putting our personal bags in a locked room. Then we would get ready for showers. The Drill Sgt would come in and we would have shower drills. Ok I live in 2nd Platoon bay which houses 50 males that goes pretty for every platoon. Except we also house some of 4th platoon males. yeah we have 20 shower heads. Drill Sgt comes in tells off to get our clothes off in the latrines (in the military they call latrine not bathroom or restroom) some of us will shower 1-2 minute intervals and Drill Sgt Hoaglund would blow a whistle when we're done. 30 seconds to rinse then shower off then 30 seconds to apply soap shower off then 30 seconds to rinse again. So little time to do these things. To get all these people done can be a headache. oh yeah being naked in front of 40 guys is weird but it's Military Life get used to it. Got nothing to hide anyways. We would change into PT shorts and sleep in them. Lights out was at 2100. First day though I had Fireguard which is cleanup bay duty at 0045-0200. I did that then I got some sleep until the next day when Basic Training actually starts. Day 0 was a beginning path to become a Soldier.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi AlbyHarris, I found your blog searching for algarve car hire and I find it great although it doesn't cover exactly the algarve car hire I was looking for. Anyway I'll be visiting your blog regularly as I found here interesting thoughts.
Keep up the good work!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi AlbyHarris, I found your blog searching for algarve car hire and I find it great although it doesn't cover exactly the algarve car hire I was looking for. Anyway I'll be visiting your blog regularly as I found here interesting thoughts.
Keep up the good work!

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god...I remember Delta Co...DS Hoaglund was the senior drill sergeant during my cycle, and I swear that was some crazy shit. Didn't have DS Johnson, though. I was in second platoon...our drill sergeants were DS Pereza, DS Armstrong, and DS Tompkins, so yeah.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey I was in Delta 787TH MP BN 2ND Platoon. I had Drill Sgt. Dukes, Drill Sgt. McDougle, Drill Sgt Williams, and Drill Sgt King. This was August 14 2008. As for the thing you do once you get off the bus it's kind of scripted, but my experience at the "Star Ship" was fun. Oh yeah we also had Drill Sgt. Pereza. It seems 2nd Platoon had like 6 different Drill Sgt's, but we got by. We only had 3 Platoons also. Was Drill Sgt Ernst there when you were there?

7:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey I was in Delta 787TH MP BN 2ND Platoon. I had Drill Sgt. Dukes, Drill Sgt. McDougle, Drill Sgt Williams, and Drill Sgt King. This was August 14 2008. As for the thing you do once you get off the bus it's kind of scripted, but my experience at the "Star Ship" was fun. Oh yeah we also had Drill Sgt. Pereza. It seems 2nd Platoon had like 6 different Drill Sgt's, but we got by. We only had 3 Platoons also. Was Drill Sgt Ernst there when you were there?

7:42 PM  
Anonymous G Man! said...

LOl this is so strange. I had DS King and DS Williams (the short one) as my DS. I was in 1st PLT but had to slept in 2nd PLT bay. I hated DS Williams (the mean one) and DS McDougle. DS Pereza, DS Armstrong, and DS Hall were awesome!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know yo started this a while ago, but I gotta thank you for it, I start bct soon and I'm gratwful for your insight, I'm nervous amd I'm female, makes it a lil more nerve wrackinng, anyways thanks for the blog!

5:26 PM  
Blogger The Mighty MP said...

@Jonathan - Yes, DS Ernst was in D787 while I was there. She's one of those DS's that you just gotta respect.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home